Hub Assemblies: Frequently Asked Questions
Skill Level: Easy | Special Tools: Torque wrench
1. Why Are More Vehicles Using Hub Assemblies Today?
Hub assemblies are maintenance free, non-serviceable units that are pre-set, pre-greased and pre-sealed. Plus, they are easier and faster to install.
2. What Kinds of Hub Assemblies Does Timken Offer?
Timken is a leader in hub technology for the automotive aftermarket. We have a complete line of hub assemblies for ABS and non-ABS vehicles, with or without SENSOR-PAC™ bearings, UNIPAC™ bearings or UNIPAC-PLUS™ bearings.
3. Are All Aftermarket Hub Assemblies the Same?
Timken hub assemblies meet or exceed original equipment specifications, other hub assembly suppliers only meet the dimensional requirements for original equipment specifications.
4. Can I Use an Impact Wrench to Install a Hub Assembly?
5. Do I Need to Torque the Axle Nut and the Lug Nut?
Yes. You must follow the manufacturer’s specifications and instruction manual to assure correct installation. Failure to do so can cause equipment failure, creating a risk of serious bodily harm.
6. Can I Replace the Bearings or Seals in My Hub Assembly?
No. Most hub assemblies utilize a non-replaceable, unitized bearing or flange that is specific to the hub and bearing housing.
7. Do Wheel Studs Come with All Hub Assemblies?
Most hub assemblies do include the wheel studs but some do not. Timken does not recommend reusing the old studs with the new hub assembly.
TechTips is not intended to substitute for the specific recommendations of your equipment suppliers. Every reasonable effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this writing, but no liability is accepted for errors, omissions or for any other reason.